Monday, February 27, 2012

Sunday 1: first day of rest!

So it's Sunday (yes, I know I'm posting this on Monday, but I wrote it Sunday, so it still counts). Sundays during Lent are supposed to be considered a day of rest and reflection and celebration of Christ risen from the grave. I've decided to keep the tradition, so I won't be giving away anything on Sundays (at least not for the purposes of this blog). I decided I will use Sundays to update on the overall progress of the emotional/mental side of giving away my things. So far, it hasn't been difficult to decide on what to get rid of. I have enough extra things that so far it hasn't really hit me that I'm giving much away at all. But this afternoon, as I stood in my room attempting to pack up a box for moving, I realized how hard it will become. Giving away 3-5 items, that's no big deal. But giving away 40 items! I'm already starting to run out of ideas of what to get rid of just in this next week, let alone for the next month. I have always considered myself to be a generous person, but my selfish side is coming out as I find it difficult to let go of things I've had for a long time. Logically, I know that no person really truly needs the things that I have. I have a home, I have clothes, I have food, and I have loving family and friends. But I realize that the more stuff I hang on to and keep around, the less focus I place on the people in my life. So I am really hoping that by the end of this project, my perspective on stuff will have changed. Stay tuned for next Sunday's thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment